I’m a month out from my birthday and thinking ahead on where I’d like to go. As I’ve mentioned in the past, I’m a big fan of the Space Needle and since my birthday is on a Sunday this year, I think that’s where we’ll be heading for brunch. But that got me thinking on some of my very favorite local places to dine and thus, here’s my lists:
For fine dining:
- Palisades (beautiful dining and delicious)
- Wild Ginger (so many things I want to try)
- Space Needle (a little bit campy, can’t beat the view, it’s the ultimate in unusual)
- Herb Farm (ridiculously expensive and I can hardly wait to go again)
For franchise dining:
- Cheesecake Factory (huge menu/huge portions to split/everything is good)
- PF Changs (love the lettuce wraps)
- Spaghetti Factory (nothing better than half clam/half mizithra)
For miscellaneous dining:
- Ivars (nice and nearby)
- Nordstroms Café (love their salads!)
- Sabor de Mexico (nearby, nothing fancy, just good Mexican with nice service)
- The Red Umbrella (one of my favorite spots in Everett for lunch)
Places I want to go:
- The Barking Frog (in Woodinville – it gets high marks from all reviewers)
- The Oyster Bar (on Chukanut Drive – it also gets great reviews)
- Ipanema – (Brazillian food in Seattle)
- Gordons on Blueberry Hill (this is on Whdbey Island. The chef used to have a Bistro in Arlington.)
The bests (so far):
- Breakfast – Mukilteo Café — It’s not spectacular food but it’s interesting and tasty. And I especially like if for breakfast because it’s not just boring ole bacon and eggs stuff.
- Brunch — I love the Space Needle but Salty’s in West Seattle puts on an incredible buffet.
- Lunch – A toss-up between the yummy sandwiches at Great Harvest and the triple salad special at The Red Umbrella.
- Dinner – not sure I can pick a favorite here — it always depends on “mood.”
- Coffee shop – Don’t hate me for this but I’m a total Snarbux (Starbucks snob). I think they offer great coffee with a good atmosphere.
- Dessert – Hands down it has to be Dilletantes on Capitol Hill in Seattle. Glen would shoot me if I didn’t pick this! There’s nothing like heading there at 11 pm on a winter week night when you have to work the next day and still have to wait for a table! I love it every single time.
Best new places we’ve tried recently:
- Sockeye’s in Monroe – excellent seafood
- Portage Bay Café in Ballard – big thumbs up on their pancake toppings bar
- Kafe Neo – good Greek food in Snohomish County at last
Some really memorable meals:
- Herb Farm – while we were there the first time a couple got engaged on one side of us and on the other a husband gave his wife a new Jaguar as a 15th wedding anniversary present. Oh, and the food was to die for too.
- Space Needle – I’ve had several memorable meals here but two top favorites – Glen and I went for our 10th anniversary and we went for my birthday brunch about five years ago. Both times were special.
- Snoqualmie Falls Lodge/Salish Lodge – same place just with different names. We’ve been for breakfast and for dinner. Breakfast is the most fun and you can’t beat sitting above the falls for something special.
Other favorites (because I’m having fun thinking about this stuff : ) ):
- Pizza – Papa Murphy’s hands-down. Great pizza, great price
- Mexican – Sabor de Mexico but also a place called Casa Tequila for their spinach enchiladas
- Sandwiches – Nowhere comes close to Great Harvest
- Indian food – Claypit in Mill Creek. So good! Plus it has white tablecloths.
- Italian – hmmmm, tough selection for me. I’m going with Spaghetti Factory but I’m sure there are others. In fact, I didn’t used to like Lombardi’s but it has grown on me.
- Buffet – This is going to seem like a weird choice I’m sure but I really like Izzy’s
- Pub/Brewery – Sometimes there’s nowhere more fun (or noisy!) then heading down to Diamond Knot in Mukilteo.
- Best fish & chips – Ivars takeout but I’m a Skippers fan too.
- Noodles – Glen and I used to have a favorite pho place in Mukilteo but it changed hands and now we are adrift.
- Chinese – Terra Cotta Red is hard to beat for fresh Asian food locally
- Live Music Dining – probably Alligator Soul but honestly, I pretty much like anywhere that gives you live music while you dine.
- Best Supper Club – I like Jazz Alley but Triple Door is also excellent. And heck, maybe Teatro Zinzanni is the most fun of all!
- Seafood – This honor might have to go to Ivars again. I’m not sure if it’s the best or just the place we go to most often because of its convenience. Nah, it’s at least one of the best and tops both Arnies and Anthony’s which are both also nearby.
- Crab Louie – Glen loves himself a great louie. His favorite is at Crab Crackers in Kirkland.
- Burgers – Best Burgers in Mukilteo makes a pretty mean mushroom burger but I’ve switched over to veggie burgers whenever possible so I’m on the hunt for the best one of those.
- Fast food – Me gusta Taco Bell. Keep me away from the nachos
- Sushi – Central Market. Okay, no this is not a restaurant per se, but they do have my absolute favorite California Rolls.
- Tea – Queen Mary’s in the University District. I love a good tea party. Queen Mary’s is over the top and a lot of fun. The Empress Hotel in Victoria is also super special but super expensive for what it is so it doesn’t get the honors.
- Cocktail hour – almost anywhere that serves ½ price appetizers and cocktails til 6 and you can find a table on a Friday night. : )
Okay c’mon everybody, what’s your favorite places? Hate my choices? Got any good recommendations? Share!